5.13.2007

Rage!

On Friday night, after spending a very pleasant Happy Hour with DJ and B, a man ran up behind me and grabbed my ass as I exited the subway station.

And when I turned around and yelled at him about it, he tried to make believe it had been an accident, and that I was making a big deal out of nothing.

And when I refused to accept this fiction, he proceeded to follow me down the street, calling me names.

I don't know if I'm angrier at him for his behavior, or at myself for believing (at one point) that I was overreacting. Or mostly mad at myself that I'm mad at myself for an incident that was clearly all his fault.

The crazy thing is that, if I took a poll, I'm sure that almost every one of my female friends could tell a similar story of some kind of violation in their history. And it makes me wonder, despite the work that I am engaged in (which requires a fair amount of hope in prevention and change) if there is any possibility of ending this kind of entitled behavior.

I hate that I am still thinking about it this morning.

No comments: