5.29.2007

Major Suckitude

My brother and I have been working on / joking about something called "The Warehouse Theory". The basic tenet is that you complete almost no training for a race, thus 'warehousing' and storing your energy so it can be harnessed during the event. (BC explained to me on Saturday that there is absolutely no science that would support this theory.) Well, I've been inadvertently 'warehousing' since the half-marathon. Here's how that worked out for me:

I ran a 10k yesterday.

Correction: I jogged/walked a 10k yesterday.

It sucked. Big time.

It was humid. I wanted to stop running less than a mile in. No part of the race felt good; I actually felt ill for most of the course. The only reason I didn't drop out was because The Peanut was cheering me on, and I couldn't think of a way to explain to a 3-year-old that I was quitting. My time was horrendous, and I wanted to hide my face when they announced my name at the finish line.

I think I'm still in for a marathon in November...but yesterday was all about showing me that a month of sitting on my ass doesn't make for a pleasant running experience. Time to turn it up a notch (or ten).

5 comments:

andebobandy said...

i'm with you on that point, r.c. at p.t. i've worked up to the treadmill. they let/make me run 5-6 minutes from a walk to a pretty paced run (aprox. 7 m.p.h.) i only go about 1/2 a mile and at the i'm panting. seems the cardio is the first to go. u.i.o.l.i. (use it or lose it)

Anonymous said...

Dude, I feel your pain. I've basically been sitting on my ass doing 12 oz curls since the half. I went out for a run the other day and it was tough. Good for you for doing the whole 10K!

I checked out the Phili Marathon - I'm game if you are...

Buggy B said...

Congrats on the 10K. You rock!

I know exactly what you mean. You have read my pain since the marathon. I been though thinking the opposite of you. I went back to some running to quickly and it has just been sucking.

I did 7.5 this morning in 1 hour 2 minutes and my lungs were burning and my left IT band was pulling my knee like there was no tomorrow. I am afraid to try for any more miles since everytime I hit the8 mile mark I start feeling pain.

Let see what todays speed work does at noon today after my run this morning. Can we all say OUCH you stupid fat nerd. :)

Keep running we will prevail! Now where is teh Big Mac and Fries I am craving. :)

Anonymous said...

Ha, you are supposed to take a recovery period after a run, but maybe not a full month. Good job on finishing the race, though, even though you didn't want to. And start training for that marathon now! I will start warming up my cheerleader chants.

The [Cherry] Ride said...

You can totally do it! But sometimes we need to have experiences like that to help get us back into focus.