5.07.2007

Mantastic!

Friday night got a little bit ugly when MS, Groom and I found ourselves in a local sports bar, devouring a platter of fried food and mocking the nicknames on the back of a softball team's jerseys (for some reason "Clutch" inspired particularly virulent derision).

And then, in the midst of our ridicule, we looked over and realized that this was JP's softball team. Which meant that A. was there.

(Here's the A. summary that I provided for Groom on Friday night: 'Dated briefly, abruptly blew me off only to call three weeks later to explain that he had rediscovered his Judaism, and was already dating other women, but might be open to dating me at a later time, should his religious preferences change.')

Ugh. So I debated for a bit, knowing that it would be better if I made the first move, but also aware that I was 4 vodka-and-sodas in, and not entirely coherent. I also spent that time begging (in vain) for MS and Groom to not be so blatantly obvious in their attempts to check him out, having never met him while we were dating.

Finally, I just sucked it up and went to talk to him. Which wasn't as bad as it could have been, but wasn't entirely comfortable either. Let's put it this way: I was giving myself the internal 'shut up' command several times during the conversation, and there were lapses of silence, and maybe some not-entirely-covert looks exchanged among the softball team.

Between the J. situation, and the JP mess (which I can't even get into) and then this awkwardness with A. and the utterly bad idea of going out with MySpace guy - I think it's time to take a dating break for a while. All signs point to disaster.

3 comments:

The [Cherry] Ride said...

Nah, keep at it - they make for sun stories for the rest of us!

g said...

So... Andebobandy (of not capitalizing) and I were talking last week about how great it would be if you, Dewey Dismal, OrangemanMike, & Groomzilla would come hang out in our bar with us on a Tuesday night. We don't have television, but we can guarantee complete protection from any and all softball teams...

Anonymous said...

I'm in!