4.03.2007

My Body Is A Wonderland

5 years ago, when I left The Nightmare Fiance (also known in some circles as Dodged A Bullet With That One) I suddenly had a lot of time on my hands, and sitting around thinking about The Cancelled Wedding wasn't really doing it for me. So I embarked upon a fitness/diet plan which I quickly became obsessed with. After a few weeks of getting up at the crack of dawn to go to the gym, and carefully monitoring my eating habits, I started to feel a difference. I wasn't weighing myself, but I had more energy, and I was fitting into clothing I hadn't worn in a long time.

At week 7, everyone noticed. People I barely knew were stopping to ask me how much weight I had lost. Friends said that I looked 'skinny'. Most memorably, I met up with Ex-Fiance to return the engagment ring and was gratified to see his surprise at how I had changed. (Never, never underestimate the power of walking away from someone for the last time and feeling like you have the upper hand.)

This week, I'm having a similar experience (not with an Ex, since there are none around to spite at the moment) wherein lots of people are suddenly seeming to notice the changes in my body. But here's what's different: my attitude. Because lately, I've just been running and weight training, with no goal other than finishing this race on the 29th. I'm finally appreciating the solidness of my legs for their strength. I'm allowing myself to eat a lot because I know that I need the fuel. For the first time in a long time, I feel comfortable in my body.

So watch out, 13.1 miles. I'm just about ready, and I'm coming for you. Soon.

5 comments:

g said...

Someone I love really needs to hear this. Unfortunately, it wouldn't help unless you were the one to say it. I wish the two of you could meet.

The [Cherry] Ride said...

How awesome for you. Congratulations! This feeling has to be just as good as finishing your upcoming race!

Anonymous said...

Rock on ridiculous! Big Daddy and I are thinking of you here in Somerville!

Anonymous said...

You are so right on! I've decided to quit my pity party and get back out on the track tonight. Your post inspired me!

Buggy B said...

This is awesome. I wish you the best on this halfer. I did my longest run ever on Saturday at 22 miles. I have a marathon in my goal for the 6th of May so I know your training and fun your in. GOOD luck and let us know how you did.

Smart