11.29.2005

Oh, I've Been

activites over the last few days:

speaking to the exterminator manager (who is the same boob that i have dealt with all along) on the phone and telling him about the damage to the furniture, waiting for a call back from the exterminator manager/boob, calling and leaving messages with my management company about breaking my lease, answering calls from friends who are asking if that was really me in the new york times, dodging late night visits to my apartment from a very persistent producer from nbc, crying, pacing, biting my nails, searching craigslist for an affordable apartment, calling agents for apartment listings, crying some more, staring blankly into space trying to figure out what i am going to do to get out of my current situation, doing an interview with cnn, cataloging the damage to my furniture and belongings, calculating how much money i have lost so far in dealing with the bedbugs, wondering if i should seek legal representation, wondering how i am going to get out of my current lease, wondering how i am going to keep my sanity, looking at my picture in the newspaper and resolving to never eat again since i am obviously a fat pig, dealing with the disappearance of all of my saved e-mail from my school e-mail account, crying some more, calling friends and rambling and crying hysterically, looking at apartments, figuring out if i can afford a new apartment, trying to formulate a plan for moving to a new apartment, attempting to figure out why my supervisor at work reacted so coldly to the times story, crying, looking at my clothing and deciding what i can get rid of, looking at my clothing and deciding what can be laundered, looking at my clothing and deciding how much i can afford to get dry cleaned, researching the expense of manhattan storage spaces, contacting the scientist from the museum of natural history to determine what will kill bedbugs without ruining the rest of my furniture, crying, scaring away potential dates, still waiting for a call from the exterminator manager/boob, breathing deeply, reframing this as a fresh start, resigning myself to disposing of most of my possessions, crying, thinking seriously about buying a pack of cigarettes.

what i'm not doing:

sleeping
concentrating on finals

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This, as much as I hate to say it, is a great post. I'm sorry things are so stressful for you, but you seem to be doing all the right things. Take it one thing at a time. If you know someone else nearby that you can stay with in the meantime (to keep the itching at bay, because that takes a lot out of you too), maybe look into that too. All this will come to an end. Right now your sanity is more important than finals. Hang in there.

Anonymous said...

Do not buy cigarettes! If for no other reason than the fact that they expel a large amount of CO2 which could attract the little F-ers. Hang in there, you shall be victorious!

Anonymous said...

Your supervisor is reacting coldly because you are more than a drone after appearing in the NY Times. He/she can't stand you having something other than the job in your life.

Derek said...

i read that nyt story! creepy creepy. weird to stumble across the bedbug lady herself via the nycbloggers.com map. (looking for neighbor-blogs, i'm in HK too). sorry you had to go through all that!