11.08.2005

??????????

I just got back from voting, and while I was in the booth, I noticed something very peculiar.

Bernard Goetz was listed as a candidate for Public Advocate. At first I thought I read it wrong, so I re-read it, then I thought, 'wow, that poor guy, imagine being named Bernard Goetz'.

So I came home and I googled Bernard Goetz. And I think it's the same guy, the (in)famous gun-toting 'subway vigilante' who is now advertising himself as a vegetarian squirrel-lover. Maybe I'm hopelessly misinformed, but when did this guy get involved with politics?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi new reader here. Bernie has been running for office for years. In fact he ran for Mayor one year, I think when Dinkins won.

I'm really interested in seeing how many people voted for him.

ridiculous said...

hi evil...thanks for stopping by. according to the nytimes this morning, bernie received 17.829 votes.

Anonymous said...

I just read about Goetz in Malcolm Gladwell's The Tipping Point. I'd vote for him. At least, you know he won't back down from a position.

ridiculous said...

mansoor: that whole chapter in the tipping point was fascinating...i had forgotten what the city and the subways were like in the mid-eighties

stretch: ha! i almost DID vote for him...i almost wish that i had, given the bizarre randomness of his 'platform'