10.15.2005

Westsiiiiiiide

The East side and the West side of Manhattan are very separate, like two different countries. Each has its own cultures, norms and values, but most importantly, its own, very distinct citizens. I live on the (clearly superior) West side, and, if asked, profess to know nothing about the East side. 'I have never gone out there', I might say, or even, 'I don't understand why anyone would want to live there.' The East side is foreign to me, it feels cold and distancing. I feel that the people that live there are either a) just-out-of-college frat boys or b) incredibly rich assholes. I know there have to be some cool people there, I just have no evidence to support it. I mean, my ex-boyfriend from college is on the East side, but we graduated 11 years ago, and he still falls into category a.

Today, I had training at Mt. Sinai, on the dreaded East side. And since the 6 train wasn't running, I had occasion to walk several blocks (joyfully, of course). And I felt...out of place. Like everyone knew that I didn't belong there and that I was scuttling back to my side of town.

I don't trust it, but I'm making an exception for the Lower East Side tonight. I'll let you know how it turns out.

No comments: