8.01.2007

Vermontese

So...the weekend in Vermont. Incredible and restful, as it always is. I was constantly reminded during my time up there how amazingly coincidental it is to intersect with people in your life in ways that feel small (at the time) only to end up hiking down a mountain with them and realizing that they are some of the closest/most important people in your life.

About that mountain: It was completely gorgeous and strenuous and challenged my assumptions that I am in good shape. We reached the summit after about 2 hours of uphill climbing, ate lunch and took in the incredible views...and watched (and heard) a thunderstorm approaching. Climbing down was a bit of a scramble to get under cover from the rain, all while trying to be careful on the slippery rocks. The storm was over before it began and DJ, LS and I distracted ourselves from our exhaustion by rapping for the remainder of the descent (BC and BG had the good sense to ignore us).

The rest of the weekend: chilling on the roofdeck, eating the yummiest of yummy foods, a 4 mile run, some shopping...oh, and a cancelled flight. I guess the weather was pretty severe in NYC on Sunday, because our Monday morning flight ceased to exist and we had no option for coming home until Tuesday (fine with me, probably not okay with my employer).

So we rented a car and drove through Vermont and Upstate NY and into the city. And rather than being an annoyance, time in the car became one of the highlights of the trip. (Although, I might feel differently than others, because I bailed and went to work, leaving the rental return to DJ and LS.)

And now, I'm back to my regularly scheduled NY life...

1 comment:

The [Cherry] Ride said...

Sounds like a great trip. I love it when - due to situations beyond control - you can't get to work on time and the vacation gets extended.