11.20.2006

Um, No

On Friday morning, I received a compliment from one of the male teachers at my school program. Not a good compliment. More like ‘ok, this guy is really disturbing me, because he’s pretending to admire my dress but staring at my ass’. [This is the same person that, whenever I am presenting to the staff at the school, and I name my program, holds up his hands in mock surrender and says something like ‘Rape? Whoa, I wasn’t even there.’ Hilarious. ]

Then, on the subway ride back to work, a man asked for directions to the criminal court building, which I gave. I guess this opened the door for him to move closer to me and start muttering about how ‘pretty’ I am, along with commentary about how he was going to be late for ‘the arraignment’. As he exited the train, I noticed that his fly was wide open.

After those two encounters, I pretty much resigned myself to being a creep magnet for the day. But I’d hoped that there was a 24-hour limit to this experience.

No.

I opened my email this morning to discover that I have a friend request *and* a new message on MySpace from, um, let’s call him Saxophone Guy, whom I dated this summer. The brief history of our (non)relationship was that he got way too attached, way too quickly (after our 3rd date) and I told him that was no longer interested in seeing him (or hearing from him). I had thought I was completely clear during the 'break-up' discussion, but he continued to send email and text messages, which I ignored. That communication eventually died down, until the MySpace nonsense this morning. Sent, by the way, at 2:15 am.


Hey, how are you? Where did you end up getting a job? Are you dating anyone? If you want to get together for a drink sometime, let me know. I’m right down the street.

PS: You look good. Really good.


Perhaps I need to start carrying mace. Or get a guard dog. Or both.

No comments: