11.21.2006

Thank You. No, Really. Thank You.

After two years of long student breaks, and an entire summer spent not working, I guess the real world had to catch up with me at some point.

And when I say ‘at some point’, I mean ‘Friday, 11.24.06, The Day After Thanksgiving’ aka ‘The Day That Every Single Person In The World United States Has Off From Work, Except For Me, And Some MTA Employees, And Hopefully Someone At Dunkin’ Donuts’.

I did request Friday off, which was denied because I am A Sucker The New Girl and everyone else beat me to it when they filed their requests months ago. Friday should be a Very Big Day for trauma in our emergency department, given that, statistically, violence escalates when families are together. Which is a lovely thought to bring into the holiday season, no?

Anyway, because my family goes away for Thanksgiving, I’ve had to decide whether it is worth the trip to the cabin, only to turn around and leave less than 12 hours later. I’d be driving, which is kinda stressful when you’re a) sitting in the inevitable traffic caused by everyone attempting to leave the Tri-State area at the same time b) borrowing your brother’s new car and c) not used to driving any more. The alternative? I don’t know, staying in the city, along with some form of sitting on my couch, eating a PB&J/String Cheese/Protein Bars and feeling sorry for myself.

Wow. Tough choice.

Over the past two weeks, amid this raging internal debate, I’ve been lucky enough that several friends have asked me to consider a third option – spending the holiday with them. So please ignore all the bitterness and self-pity contained above, and allow me to dedicate this post (and my thanks giving) to MM, RC, LK, JP & SN.

(But, however things turn out, I do hope that you’ll also allow me to be unrepentantly cantankerous on Friday. It's more fun that way. )

1 comment:

Dewey Dismal said...

If it makes you feel any better. I have to work too. and oh yeah, the homeless digestive tract is awesome the day after their only big meal of the year.