5.11.2006

New York

Current Music: 'Where Does The Good Go?' - Tegan and Sara

I had an interview for a side project on Monday that has nothing to do with my degree. I don't think it's going to go anywhere, and I'm not sure I want it to, and I can't really say more than that because of something that I signed. Anyway...during the interview, I was asked why I live in New York. Well.

New York expects you to give as it takes from you. It's never as simple as just living here. It's loud and rude and lonely and everyone seems to be looking you over and deciding that you're not something enough. It's competitive and rushed and hard. On some days, you might feel like you're stepping out of your front door into a war zone, where you'll encounter the $20 bill monster who lurks on your sidewalk; a slow, crowded, dirty subway car; various micro-aggressions; and overpriced coffee. But if you look closely enough, the city gives in little ways. The teenager who gives up his seat on the subway for a tired mother carrying her toddler. A stranger who takes the time to return a cell phone. The community garden nestled between the craziness of 9th and 10th Avenues that you can access for $5 per year. A woman who stops to ask you about your nose ring and tells you how perfect it looks on you.

I love and hate New York. I don't think I'll ever live anywhere else.

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

I've always wondered what it was like. That was a really good little snapshot of life there.

I don't think I have the [insert female equivalent of balls here] to survive up there.

Sounds like it definitely has its rewards, though.

g said...

What I like most about this post is how you don't say whether your closing statement is positive or negative. For me, it's both.

Pru said...

I was in NY in February, and it took me by surprise. I'm from a small town in Canada, and NY wasn't as overwhelming as I thought it would be. I enjoyed my visit, but I could never live there. If Central Park didn't exist, I would have gone crazy - you can barely see the sky, and the stars never shine.

On the other hand, people stop you in the middle of the street to tell you that you have perfect lips before they walk away. That doesn't happen much in the middle of no-where.