9.11.2005

Exhaustion

It's close to 10 pm and I am still not recovered from the birthday party last night. Truthfully, even before I went out last night, I still wasn't recovered from my Syracuse trip last weekend.

I just got home from dinner at my parent's house (The Peanut was there, and actually squeaked because she was so excited to see me. Who needs a boyfriend when you have that?). I think I shocked my parents by declining a glass of wine, but I honestly couldn't fathom drinking anything alcoholic today. When you spend the better part of the morning throwing up, abstinence is a good policy.

So, the party. The location was amazing - the weather was perfect, the sunset was beautiful, and we had our own little reserved area and bartender. Lots and lots of people showed up, and things got a little crazy for a while. The best surprise of the night was that my brother came to the party - they had been in Maryland for the football game that day, and he had driven home, dropped off my SIL and The Peanut, and got right back into the car and drove into the city.

BG showed up with his girlfriend, who seemed to be trying to prove how serious they were by draping herself all over him and talking about how he 'practically lives' at her apartment.

JP and I got into a fight (I should have added 'no fighting' to my list of disallowed party behaviors) about the situation between him and KR. Then, BG and his girlfriend attributed the fight to jealousy on my part, but, of course, couldn't say that to my face. It's lovely to have people talking shit about you when they are a) guests at your party and b) barely know you. JP and I have texted back and forth today, and I left him a voice message saying that we should talk, but I'm not sure where we go from here. I am just so tired of being in the middle, and seeing behavior that I don't like on both sides and then feeling conflicted because I am friends with both of them. And I guess that came out last night, and the drama is old and tired, and I have regret.

DM saved my ass not once, but twice last night by taking and holding my cell phone when I started getting sentimental, and then again by refusing to give me a cigarette when I begged for one at 2:30 am. I can only imagine how much worse I would have felt, physically and emotionally, had I smoked last night.

JN and her husband saved my ass this morning by bringing McDonalds to my apartment. Meal #2 is a magic hangover cure and I cannot fully explain how essential fountain soda is to recovery efforts.

Ju's boyfriend Matt served as 'party pics' guy last night, since he is a photographer, and as soon as I learn how to dowload from my new camera to my computer, maybe I will post some pictures. There is a great one of the party sign from the bar, taped to my ass. And I think my brother was there for that *shudder*.

Despite the drama, it was a good night. I am relieved that my week of birthday celebration is over, and that next week, I can go back to my real life. My mother had baked a cake, and wanted everyone to sing 'Happy Birthday' to me tonight. I declined.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kudos to DM. That's what good friends are for.