8.04.2005

Today on NBC: My Fat Face

This morning, MS and I went to Rockerfeller Plaza and watched the Today show. This was very strange, as I usually avoid anything this blatantly touristy (aside from my daily trek through midtown from The Hedge Fund Nightmare to my apartment). I know MS shares my viewpoint on this matter, and the reason why I know this because we spend a lot of time discussing tourists and their annoying ways, and in particular, their annoying ways that have fucked up our neighborhood. Why, exactly, are they wandering over from Times Square/Broadway? It's unclear. Hell's Kitchen is a dangerous, dangerous place, kiddies. Don't believe the gentrification myth; we still have daily gang wars akin to those scenes in West Side Story. Seriously.

So, this morning, we tamped down our hatred (well, mostly) and headed straight to Tourist Central. And allowed ourselves to be coralled into the police barricades surrounding the plaza. And dealt nicely (well, mostly) with the throngs of people who were all wearing the same shirts, or holding stupid signs, or yelling inane things, or trying to be on camera. We balanced on the barricades and on our tiptoes and craned our necks (thankfully not at the same time; coordination and I are not on the best terms). We waited: some ridiculous thing with Andy Milonakis and 'cornholing' which should have been more fun than it was, given my penchant for all things ridiculous, Al Roker in his pink suit (!) presenting the weather and bouncing all over the plaza, a comparison of French vs. American diet patterns (newsflash: we're fatter and generate more garbage due to our eating habits. Shocker.)

And finally, the payoff. Which, if you're still reading, probably feels just as long as it did this morning.

At approximately 8:40 am, MS and I saw a performance of 'Seasons of Love' by the cast of the movie Rent. And yes, that might have been me 'wooing' along with the tourists. And, also me singing along and knowing every word. And, yet again me, shouting out 'I love you Jesse/Anthony/Adam/Idina/Taye/Rosario/Wilson/Tracie!'. And, finally, me again, jumping up and down. The performance was amazing, and now I REALLY can't wait for the movie to be released in November. For those of you following along at home, I'll be just as dorky then as I was this morning. Promise.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Weird . . . I too live in Hell's Kitchen, I too work in the Hedge Fund industry, and I too hate then Times Square tourists. I'll go as far as lowering a shoulder and dropping one if he/she walks too slow when I'm coming home from work.

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, my blog . . .

www.inappropriatetouching.com

ridiculous said...

yeah, i actually pushed out of my way a few weeks ago. not my proudest moment.

Anonymous said...

I work right near there and am a huge fan of RENT. Had I known I may have ventured out tourist hunting to go see them