8.30.2005

I Fooled Them

Today was the first day of my internship. This year, I am program planning and counseling at an alcohol and substance abuse prevention program at a large college in the city. Re-read that last sentence. Then stop laughing, wipe the tears from your eyes, and read it again.

I will be attempting to assist college students around their issues with alcohol and drug use. I will be providing counseling to those that might feel that they already have a problem around those subsances. This idea makes me giggle even more than when I was employed at Souless Telecommunications, and could tell people that I was an engineer (truthfully) even though I have a lifelong aversion to math and anything math related.

I am an admitted lush. And I am already examining my drinking habits. For example, binge drinking is defined (for women) as having 4 or more drinks in one sitting. This means that I am binge drinking most of the time when I go out. This is problematic.

Today, I represented my office at a student services fair. I dispensed pamphlets and information to incoming freshmen. I smiled. I answered questions. And then I stopped being a substance abuse counselor, and promptly met LK and another friend at a bar for happy hour.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy Hour...excellent. Oh, and by definition, every person I know has a drinking problem, and that's just stupid. Those statistics are used to scare people.