8.14.2005

I Lovermont

Friday was quite possibly the most miserable day of my life. The night before, as I had been getting ready to go out, my smoke alarm went off, and I discovered that the burning odor that I had intermittently smelled all day was coming from my air conditioner. I debated for a second, weighing the hot, humid weather outside my apartment versus the possibility of the air conditioner bursting into flames. Right before I left, I switched off the air conditioner, opened the windows and hoped for the best.

I went out in my neighborhood and had one of the most random nights that I can remember in recent memory. I met BG and his work friends out at Lattitude (all midtown suits, very meat market) and discovered that he has been dating one of his work friends (who was there, and overly friendly to me) since March, and hadn't bothered to tell me, maybe preferring to keep his options open. Then I met up with JP at Doyle's, where we were supposed to have a quick drink, and then go out for dinner, but Barry The Bartender was there, and he was just as cute as ever, and was talking to us, so we (ok, me) decided to skip dinner and just keep drinking at the bar.

Bad choice.

Friday: humid 97 degree weather + no air conditioning + debilitating hangover = abject misery. I felt too sick to actually go anywhere, so I lay on my couch/bed most of the day, sweating and trying to sleep. I couldn't think of a single thing I wanted to eat, and couldn't summon the necessary energy to leave the apartment to get something to eat, so I just kept drinking water. I took about 5 showers, trying to cool myself down. At certain points in the day, I convinced myself that I was on my way to a serious case of heat stroke. I considered going to the local emergency room.

At 7:30, I somehow got on the E (Note: if one subway car is nearly empty when all of the others are full, there's a good reason for it, i.e. no air conditioning) to make my way to JFK. And once I got into the airport, everything was good. The temperature was frigid, there was food there that I actually wanted to eat, and I was on my way to Vermont. I should have woken up Friday morning and gone straight to the airport.

I'll say it now: Burlington Vermont is possibly the best city that I have been to in a long time. DJ and BC have been incredible hosts. Yesterday we went shoppping for school stuff (funny how you can still get excited for school just by buying a new bookbag, or clothing) and walked around the city. We had coffee at Speeder and Earl's. We hung out by Lake Champlain. We made our 'famous' dip. We grilled. We had Ben & Jerry's.

I'm not sure I want to ever leave. Maybe UVM has a good MSW program?

No comments: