6.07.2007

Almost Famous

Tonight, The Lawyer and I will be journeying over the the NYPL for a screening of a documentary about sexual violence by a social service agency that provides internships in filmmaking for high school students. I'm in the movie, giving a tour of our Emergency Department and talking about our Rape Crisis program services. (And offering my opinions about sexual assault prevention strategies, patriarchal models, and victim-blaming.)

Helping with this project was an interesting experience. The kids I met with were smart and interested and well-prepared regarding the topic. And their questions were tough! It can be hard to eloquently explain why rape occurs, and how societal norms contribute to the problem. Or what "fair" punishment for sexual violence would look like.

The Lawyer will be there tonight for moral support mockery, as I generally hate seeing/hearing myself on screen. Afterwards, we'll cope with my fame with empanadas and sangria.

No comments: