7.27.2005

Smoking

I'm trying to cut down on the amount of cigarettes I smoke. In order to accomplish this goal, I've resorted to several (ok, only two) tactics. One is to develop a list of the pros and cons of smoking.

Pros: provides multiple breaks from the drugery of my temp job, goes well with drinking, time waster, serves as an middle-of-the-night alternative to staring at my ceiling or tweezing my eyebrows

Cons: cost, tarred lungs, general feeling of unhealthiness, feel like a loser when I wake up and have a cigarette immediately after getting out of bed

The other tactic (this week) has been to leave my pack of cigarettes at home so I won't smoke during the day. So far, this is what has changed a) my consumption of cookies from the work kitchen has doubled b) I smoke more when I get home to relieve the day-long cigarette deficit and c) I sit at my desk for 9 full hours per day.

The other unfortunate side effect is that I race home after work to have a cigarette, which is a problem when you consider that Home can only be reached after a mile-long walk across Manhattan while we are in a severe weather alert because of the 107 degree heat index.

No comments: