7.25.2005

Monday, Monday

*Sigh* I really don't want to be here today.

The Yammerer, who sits directly next to me, Wont. Shut. Up. Every story is a) at least 25 minutes long, b) about stuff that I don't even remotely care about and c) never cut short by my not looking directly at her, nor responding. Seriously? How devoid of social skills do you have to be to not pick up on my complete lack of interest? Some of the mentally-ill-formerly-homeless tenants that I worked with last semester had more of a grasp of social cues. A sampling of the "conversation" topics this morning:

a) a full recount of her dinner last night, and her dessert, and the fact that she was up until 4:30 am because she felt sick

b) the possibility that her cat is injured due to her dog jumping up on the bed and landing on the cat, followed by a description of all of the surgeries previously undergone by said cat

c) her aborted attempts to get a manicure yesterday

Maybe I should look on the bright side. As my Dad mentioned yesterday the men here are very likely to make a very high salary. Ooooooo. Maybe I can get one of them to marry me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

R -

This could be the root of a final Social Worker paper - Yammering - Scourge of society. You could estimate the number of hours lost listening to people who have nothing to say. You could chronicle the phenomenon through history - was there a yammerer on the Mayflower? Did people die just to escape another pointless conversation?

Hey - all I'm saying is I think you are on to something big here - something worth investigating and ultimately fighting! You could start a campaign - with little "Y" stickers. If you end up next to a yammerer you stick a "Y" on them - preferably in a spot they won't see for a while - so others can stay clear - or at least know it isn't just them.

"This person has no idea when they are going on so I will have to end the conversation my self."

Imagine how liberating it would be to see that sticker and know you were being reasonable when you mid-sentence start reading your book.

It could be useful - even empowering! You could start a movement!!