7.28.2005

Rage

Every morning, while I am getting ready for work, I watch VH1. I don't know why. They play the same videos every day, only at slightly different times. The past couple of weeks, the 7:30-8:00 am rotation has been Coldplay's "Speed of Sound" (please stop whining), Kelly Clarkson's "Behind These Hazel Eyes" (I like this song *ashamed*), Greenday's "Holiday" (love watching the Greenday boys, but Billie Joe still looks like a fetus) and some fucking Mariah Carey song which annoys the crap out of me, but I still watch because I think that the mansion shown in the video is in Montclair, and that I used to jog by it when I lived there.

Anyway.

This morning, VH1 played the video for this song twice. Twice within the same hour. And (again ashamed) I kind of like the song, but the video is Truly. Sucky. Has anyone seen this? First of all, Natasha Bedingfield seems to have some sort of facial deformity. She looks like, I don't know, a dinosaur or something. Anyway, the "premise" or "plot" of this video starts with Ms. Bedingfield waking up in her bed, snuggled up with a boombox. Yes, you read that right. Then she goes to a boardwalk, where she is singing/asking for change with the same boombox, but no-one seems to vibe with her groove. In frustration, she kicks the boombox, which suddenly goes all 80's squiggly cartoon-like, and grows little legs. Now people are smiling and giving her money. I guess this is because of the now-animated boombox. Then other boomboxes in the vicinity morph into cartoons and grow legs. She finishes her boardwalk performance and walks home, followed by a mini-parade of boomboxes.

Uh oh. One of the men (Is he a break-dancer? I'm not sure) from the boardwalk is also following her. He seems angry that she left with his boombox. He confronts her, and I wonder if the video is going to get all West Side Story-Jets/Sharks-knife-fight (I can only hope because a stabbing would make the video interesting). In a shocking turn of events, the boomboxes turn out to be protective, and two of them rush the man, knocking him over. She continues home, walking by what looks like, at my best guess, a prostitute, who also has a boombox, which (surprise!) grows legs - oh and the legs have the same fishnet stockings as the bystander/prositute. At this point, I'm questioning what kind of town this is, what with the prostitutes/bystanders/threatening break-dancers where everyone seems to own a boombox.

Rather anti-climactically, she arrives home and has some sort of dance party with all the boomboxes. And I am enraged. What the fuck is this? This video is about light-hearted fun (I guess) but it just makes me angry. What's my alternative? Any suggestions for my morning entertainment?

4 comments:

Groomzilla said...

Heeeeeeeeeeeeesterical.

And while we're on the topic...I'd say she just looks...British. Maybe a dinosaur, but more of a horsey, British dinosaur.

Joe said...

VH2

Enjoy.
:D

Joe

ridiculous said...

wow, so, groom, you're admitting to knowing the video of which i speak?

and joe, i'm not sure i get VH2...

Groomzilla said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.