3.28.2008

Wiki Wiki Wiki Waaaa



I have a new addiction and, OH GOD NO, it's Pinkberry. I had successfully resisted the craze until Tuesday, and since then, I've stopped each night on my way home to get progressively larger sizes. (To add to the madness, going to the closest Pinkberry necessitates using a slightly farther subway station, with a longer walk home.)

So, my favorite is the green tea flavor but certainly not with any healthy fruit, as pictured above. No, there's some secret not-on-the-menu ingredient called "mochi" that is sometimes described as rice cakes by my new best friends at Pinkberry. I don't know quite what they are (but they are delicious!) and since there is no published information on them, I did a little Internets research.

And found this on Wikipedia:

Mochi is very sticky and somewhat tricky to eat. After each new year, it is reported in the Japanese media how many people die from choking on mochi. The victims are usually elderly.

Awesome. So now I have a new habit which along with being somewhat expensive, could eventually result in death.

I might as well take up smoking again.

3 comments:

Buggy B said...

mmmm that looks darn good. Kind of like that mocha desert I had a few days ago. mmmmm

andebobandy said...

japanese mochi is sort of like a dumpling...it's made of a fine rice flour dough that is mixed with water. they then form that dough around something gross/sweet japanese like black bean paste and then steam them slightly. if you ever ate one, you would be able to see why people choke.

if you ever want to try an authentic mochi, you should check out the japanese baker in rock center. that place is the most anal retentive place i've ever been, but it's worth it. also, nobu makes a mochi ice cream desert that is awesome.

Anonymous said...

hey ridiculous,

i did it all for the mochi! the mochi! the mochi!i did it all for the mochi!!

sorry,

rock on,

b